Creativity & Genre

 Creativity & Genre 

Creativity is very important when talking about a new subject. Being creative is often times what sets you apart from other people, and your ideas. Creativity also is what moves us along as a group, company, and as an entire country. The TED talk mentions how you should keep a journal of your good ideas. These ideas are the creative ideas and thinking that is so important. For the Describe Yourself Activity, we needed to think creatively on how we would describe ourselves. For the Bucket List that I made, I had to be creative while brainstorming these ideas, instead of just writing something that everyone would write. And lastly, the article An Interview with Ron Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Lifetalks about creativity. The author is an internationally recognized expert on creative thought in the education setting. He talks about creative thinking, and how to make changes to learning and teaching, and bringing more creativity into the mix.  

My topic was special interest magazines. I did research on the digital editor and creative director of the magazine, Sports Illustrated. Their levels of creativity are very high, and they are both skillful at what they do. The digital editor is Mark McClusky. Mark McClusky is very creative with his titles and cover pages of the Sports Illustrated articles. For example, the main points of the magazine are always shown on the cover page, spread out across the page. The athlete that is modeling for the article is in the forefront, and the colors of their jersey and accessories are what the background and all words will match with. The fonts are always either big, bold fonts that stand out, or small, thin fonts based on what the words are covering. I also researched Susan Goldberg. She is the editor in chief of National Geographic, and the editorial director for National Geographic Partners. This means that she oversees commercials and advertisement of National Geographic, and to oversee the production and creation of magazines. A big part of the way that Susan Goldberg stands out creatively is that she is the first woman to ever edit for National Geographic since the start of the company, in 1888. The work of Mark McClusky at Sports Illustrated, and the work of Susan Goldberg at National Geographic and National Geographic Partners, is very similar. I would emulate the work of Mark McClusky through the way that he matches the colors of the athletes modeling on the magazine, with the background of the magazine, and with the words on the cover page. For Susan Goldberg, I would advertise the magazines the way that she does. She advertises through movies, and all over the world. What I would change with the work of Mark McClusky is mainly the organization of the words and articles in the magazine on the cover page. For Susan Goldberg, I would make National Geographic appeal to a wider variety of people, through design and advertisement.

Comments